Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Item of the Week

My item of the week is salad. Yep, plain old salad. But it doesn't have to be boring. I have a few tips to make it a little tastier than just eating plain lettuce.

First off, I don't make my salads by chopping up a head of lettuce, grating carrots, and wedging tomatoes. I cheat by buying bags of salad. Yes, they can be a little expensive, but it saves me time and I actually eat the salad. If I had to make my salad each morning by chopping up a head of lettuce, well, I wouldn't eat any salad. I've tried making a huge bag of salad myself ahead of time, but honestly, it gets icky FAST. So, I just buy a bag of salad every few days in one of my couponing trips.

I prefer the Romaine Salad mix. It has romaine lettuce, carrots, and cabbage.


Nutritional Stats:
3 oz has
30 calories
0g fat
2 g fiber

I add to this about 2 ounces of cherry tomatoes (no dicing or wedging needed), and 2 oz of sliced mushrooms (I buy them pre-sliced), I use the salad spritzers and can usually get a away with a nice sized salad for under 80 calories. I pair a salad with most frozen lunches, soups, and entrees. It helps fill me up, but I am able to control my portion size of higher calorie foods-- which means I get to eat what I want in moderation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment